Several thousand email messages can be received by a business every day, and many of those messages contain important documents and sensitive information, which in some cases is saved nowhere else other than the email system or on a user’s local device.
Several regulations require email data to be backed up and stored for a certain time period, with many businesses choosing to store copies of business emails using backups. While backups will allow a business to comply with regulations and ensure messages can be recovered in the event of disaster, backups are not searchable which makes recovery of emails a time-consuming process.
An email archive is a much better solution. Email archives store emails in a tamper-proof repository and, in contrast to backups, prior to being sent for long term storage, emails and attachments are indexed to allow them to be searched on demand. When an email needs to be found, a search can be performed and individual emails can be found and recovered in seconds or minutes, whereas the process of finding and recovering emails from a backup could take days.
In the event of a legal investigation, it is essential for emails to be produced. Businesses must be able to prove the integrity of email data and show an original copy of the messages is provided that has not been altered since being sent or received. If you cannot prove the integrity of email messages, you could get in serious legal trouble. In the event of a cyber-incident, email messages are checked in the investigation process, so it is also essential to maintain message integrity and ensure all emails can quickly be recovered.
Given the number of emails received by businesses every day, the amount of storage space that must be devoted to emails and attachments grows quickly. Businesses are likely to require terabytes of storage space, which can prove costly. A cloud-based archive ensures that there is always sufficient storage space available and rules can be sent to delete emails and attachments securely when they are no longer required to be retained by law. A cloud-based archive can reduce storage use by up to 75% compared to on premise storage and reduce maintenance time by up to 50%, resulting in significant cost savings.
Many businesses use Outlook for email, which stores emails in Personal Storage (PST) files. These files are stored locally on each user’s device and are not tamper-proof. They can also become corrupted, can be targeted in cyberattacks, and are at risk of being accidentally deleted. If these files are not backed up, in the event of data corruption or accidental deletion, they cannot be recovered. Using an email archive ensures that all users’ email data can be recovered, and users’ PST files can be quickly and easily restored. Without an email archive, critical business emails could easily be lost.
If you are required to comply with the E.U. General Data Protection Regulation, you must be able to search for data in email if a request is made by an E.U. citizen to access their data or if they exercise their ‘right to be forgotten.’ If you have an email archive, searches can be performed quickly, and it is easy to satisfy these GDPR requests. The failure to respond to these requests quickly, could easily result in a substantial fine for noncompliance.
Should you ever need to change email systems and migrate to new email servers, all inboxes, messages, and attachments will need to be migrated to the new server. If you do not have the right systems in place, that process can be difficult and time-consuming. Using an email archive makes the process faster and simpler, ensuring seamless migrations with few errors, saving considerable time and effort.
In summary, and email archive will…
- Ensure a tamper-proof copy of email data is retained and is always accessible
- Allow you to search millions of emails in seconds
- Reduce server management costs
- eDiscovery requests can be processed quickly
- Email data is protected against cyberattacks and can always be recovered in the event of a data destruction event
- Email migrations can be performed quickly and easily without data corruption
- Reduce storage space by 50% or more and greatly reduce costs
- Maintain an audit trail to ensure compliance with regulations such as Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX), PCI-DSS, SEC, DPA, HIPAA, and GDPR
- Free up IT support time by allowing employees to access their own email archives
- Help with compliance and ensures data can be quickly found and produced in the event of an investigation
ArcTitan: Email Archiving Made Simple
ArcTitan is a powerful email archiving solution from TitanHQ that makes archiving email, performing searches, and recovering email data a quick and simple process.
Key Features of ArcTitan
- Scalable, email archiving that grows with your business
- Email data stored securely in the cloud on Replicated Persistent Storage on AWS S3
- Lightning fast searches – Search 30 million emails a second
- Rapid archiving at up to 200 emails a second
- Automatic backups of the archive
- Email archiving with no impact on network performance
- Ensure an exact, tamper-proof copy of all emails is retained
- Easy data retrieval for eDiscovery
- Protection for email from cyberattacks
- Eliminate PSTs and other security risks
- Facilitates policy-based access rights and role-based access
- Only pay for active users
- Slashes the time and cost of eDiscovery other formal searches
- Migration tools to ensure the integrity of data during transfer
- Seamless integration with Outlook
- Supports single sign-on
- Save and combine searches
- Perform multiple searches simultaneously
- Limits IT department involvement in finding lost email – users can access their own archived email
- Compliant with regulations such as HIPAA, SOX, GDPR, Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, etc.
If you are not yet archiving your email, are unhappy with your current provider, or are an MSP that is not yet offering email archiving to your clients or is unhappy with the service or margins with your current provider, give the TitanHQ team a call to find out more about ArcTitan.