You may want to filter the Internet to prevent users of your WiFi network from accessing illegal or obscene website content, but it is also possible to use a web content WiFi filter for insight into customer behavior.
The websites that customer connect to via your WiFi network can tell you a lot about who they are, what they are interested in, and what they are thinking. But before going into the benefits of tracking customers browsing habits in-store, let’s look at the benefits of offering free Wi-Fi. Many retailers are unconvinced this is a wise move.
The Benefits of Offering Free In-Store WiFi Access
Most people now have at least one mobile Internet-enabled device. This allows them to gain access to a wealth of information while on the move. Mobile phones have changed the way people shop. Consumer surveys have revealed that shoppers are researching products online before they buy in-store, and many are researching, comparing prices, and reading reviews on their Smartphones while they visit bricks and mortar stores.
According to a survey conducted by eConsultancy, 79.5% of consumers said their decision where to shop was influenced to varying degrees by the availability of in-store WiFi. Many retailers are concerned about visitors to their store performing price comparisons; however, it may be better to allow customers access to Wi-Fi rather than losing those visitors to a competitor that does provide free Internet access.
If customers want to research products, check prices, and see if competitors have special offers, they will do it regardless of whether Wi-Fi is offered. Offer free WiFi and you are also likely to increase foot traffic in your store.
In the UK, Debenhams, Tesco, and House of Fraser have all started offering customers free Wi-Fi in store. In the United States, Gap Inc., Banana Republic, Old Navy, J.C. Penney, and Macy’s offer customers the option of connecting to their Wi-Fi networks. A study conducted by EarthLink Holdings Corp., in 2015 showed 27.5% of retailers experienced improved customer loyalty as a result of offering in-store Wi-Fi.
Using a Web Content WiFi Filter for Insight into Customer Behavior
Retailers especially can benefit from tracking the websites that their visitors access, although there are benefits to be gained for hotels, transport networks, airports, and any provider of a WiFi Hotspot.
When a customer connects to in-store WiFi, they can be served adverts, offered discounts, sent questionnaires, and become more engaged. They can be encouraged to spend more time in-store rather than walking out and into the store of a competitor.
Retailers can use a web content WiFi filter for insight into customer behavior while their customers are shopping. They can gain a much better understanding of where they could be losing customers and what their customers are viewing online.
The information acquired by using a web content WiFi filter for insight into customer behavior can also help marketing departments with future advertising campaigns.
Using WebTitan’s Web Content WiFi Filter for Insight into Customer Behavior
WebTitan Cloud for WiFi allows WiFi hotspot operators to view Internet access logs via the web content WiFi filter for insight into customer behavior. Other key features include:
- Create a family-friendly, safe and secure web browsing environment
- Filter the Internet across multiple WiFi hotspots with no limits on number of locations
- Manage access points through a single web-based administration panel
- Delegate management of access points
- No Latency – Internet speed is unaffected
- No additional hardware requirements
- Fast installation and easy configuration
- Filter by website, website category, keyword term, or keyword score
- Block access to competitor websites and online retailers
- Reduce the risk of phishing attacks
- Block malware and ransomware downloads
- Inspect encrypted websites with SSL certificates
- Schedule and run reports on demand
- Gain a real-time view of internet activity
- Gain insights into bandwidth use and restrict activities to conserve bandwidth
- Integrate the solution into existing systems through a suite of APIs
- Apply time-based filtering controls
Find Out More about WebTitan Cloud for WiFi
For further information on WebTitan Cloud for WiFi and Web filtering solutions for ISPs and MSPs, contact our sales team today: