In an effort to become more competitive, drive down costs, and improve the productivity of employees, many companies are now choosing a web content WiFi filter for Internet monitoring instead of extensively filtering the Internet and restricting the websites that can be accessed at work.
There are many benefits that can be gained from filtering the Internet, although in some cases a web filter alone does not meet the needs of a business. Some companies will not be overly concerned about how the Internet is used at work, provided employees get the job done and do not view objectionable or illegal content.
In these cases, an Internet filter can be used to restrict access to certain websites or categories of website content, but the filtering of the Internet can be kept to a minimal level. This reduces the time taken to configure and administer a web filter and allows employees more freedom. Some studies have shown that taking a more relaxed attitude to personal Internet use at work can actually result in improved productivity.
Web Content WiFi Filter for Internet Monitoring Vs. Internet Filtering
Every company should have an acceptable Internet usage policy. If employees are allowed access to the Internet, they should be told exactly what they are permitted to use that privilege for. There will be websites that employees should be prohibited from visiting while at work – pornography for example. Some companies may also wish to prevent employees from accessing social media websites.
An Internet filter can be used to enforce allowable usage policies and prevent individuals from wasting time, viewing objectionable website content, downloading pirated material, or visiting non-work related websites. A web filter can be configured to block specific websites, categories of sites, and prevent certain online actions in the workplace.
Blocking access to websites can improve productivity and keep employees focused on work. However, Internet monitoring is a better alternative for some companies who prefer to have a more relaxed attitude to personal Internet use, provided it is kept within certain limits.
This is where a web content WiFi filter for Internet monitoring can be an appropriate solution. A web content WiFi filter for Internet monitoring can be configured to create an audit trail that will show user activity online. From the audit report, administrators can see whether allowable usage policies are being adhered to, or if an individual is abusing Internet access privileges.
Why not Just Block Access to Non-Work Sites with a Web Filter?
WebTitan Cloud for WiFi allows system administrators to implement a number of controls to block certain websites and categories of sites. It also offers controls to prevent users from bypassing the web filter by using VPNs and anonymizer websites. The controls are intuitive and filters are easy to configure; however, new websites are being created all the time, and a web filter does need to be maintained and administered. Some companies may not want to commit man hours to the task of Internet filtering.
Instead, if employees are made aware that all Internet searches, website visits, Social media time, and downloads are being monitored and logged by their employer, they are likely to think twice before accessing website content they are not permitted to view. Employees are more likely to police their own use of the Internet.
WebTitan Cloud for WiFi Offers the Best of Both Worlds
WebTitan Cloud for WiFi is a web filtering solution that can be used to restrict access to certain websites or categories of website content, while also serving as a web content WiFi filter for Internet monitoring. Access to the Internet is monitored and logged, with a suite of reports showing what content is being viewed and when it is being accessed.
This allows businesses to adopt less restrictive Internet access policies, while ensuring Internet use is logged and employee activity is monitored. WebTitan Cloud for WiFi offers the best of both worlds by acting as a web content WiFi filter for Internet monitoring with the flexibility to implement stricter web filtering controls if required.
- Suitable for workplaces operating a BYOD policy.
- Suitable for hotels providing a WiFi service for guests.
- Suitable for bars offering a wireless Internet service to customers.
- Provides an insight into customer preferences for marketing purposes.
- CIPA-compliant for schools running a WiFi service for students.
- Can help identify students at risk of cyber-bullying or cyber-grooming.
Some of the key benefits of WebTitan Cloud for WiFi are listed below:
- Filter the Internet across multiple WiFi hotspots
- Create a family-friendly, safe and secure web browsing environment
- Manage access points through a single web-based administration panel
- Delegate management of access points
- Filter by website, website category, keyword term, or keyword score
- Block material contained in the child abuse image content URL list (CAIC List)
- Upload blacklists and create whitelists
- Reduce the risk of phishing attacks
- Block malware and ransomware downloads
- Inspect encrypted websites with SSL certificates
- Schedule and run reports on demand
- Gain a real-time view of internet activity
- Gain insights into bandwidth use and restrict activities to conserve bandwidth
- Integrate the solution into existing systems through a suite of APIs
- Apply time-based filtering controls
- Multiple hosting options, including within your own data center
- World class customer service
- Highly competitive pricing and a fully transparent pricing policy
Find Out More about WebTitan Cloud for WiFi
For further information about WebTitan’s web content WiFi filter for Internet monitoring and web filtering solutions, contact our sales team today: