There are many reasons for implementing a web filter for WiFi access points; however, the primary reason is to use a web content WiFi filter to prevent unsuitable content from being accessed.
There will always be individuals who attempt to use WiFi access points to view unsuitable or even illegal website content. A web content filter for WiFi will allow you to enforce an allowable Internet use policy and limit the content that can be viewed over your WiFi network.
Regardless of where your WiFi network is located, what it is used for, and who you allow to connect to it, it is strongly advisable to use a web content WiFi filter to prevent unsuitable content from being accessed.
Using a Web Content WiFi Filter to Prevent Unsuitable Content in the Workplace
One of the most common locations where Internet filtering solutions are implemented is in offices and other places of business. Studies on Internet use in the workplace show that employers that permit the use of the Internet at work can lose between one and two hours a day per employee to personal Internet use. Placing restrictions on the sites that can be accessed by workers can greatly improve productivity.
The Importance of a Web Content WiFi Filter to Prevent Unsuitable Content for Minors
In some jurisdictions, Internet access has to be restricted in schools and libraries to prevent minors from accessing website content of an adult nature. In the USA, some states have introduced legislation stipulating that schools and libraries must implement a web content WiFi filter to prevent unsuitable content being accessed. Federally, in order to qualify for E-rate discounts, schools and libraries must comply with the Children’s Internet Protection Act (CIPA).
CIPA requires a web filtering solution to be implemented to prevent obscene images and other content that could be harmful to minors from being accessed. Viewing this material, deliberately or accidentally, could damage a child psychologically. Even when there is no legal requirement to filter the Internet, it is important to consider the welfare of minors and use a web content WiFi filter to prevent unsuitable content from being accessed by children.
It is Advisable to Place Some Restrictions of the use of WiFi Networks
Not all WiFi access point providers will wish to extensively restrict access to the Internet, although most providers of WiFi access points will want to prevent certain categories of websites from being accessed. It is possible to configure a web content WiFi filter to prevent unsuitable content such as:
Illegal Website Content
The Internet contains an exceptionally diverse range of websites. While guests may be permitted freedom to use a WiFi network to access whatever content they choose, it is unadvisable to provide totally unfettered access. WiFi web filters can be configured to block illegal online marketplaces and prevent the downloading or sharing of copyrighted material via P2P file sharing websites such as thepiratebay.se. It is also possible to configure a web content WiFi filter to prevent unsuitable content such as child pornography, religious extremist material, or access to online gambling sites.
Limiting Bandwidth Draining Activities
File sharing websites and streaming sites can be a major drain on bandwidth. WiFi hotspot providers may wish to set limits on activities that suck up bandwidth, as this will have an impact on the number of individuals who can connect to the network. Access to those sites can be blocked, or a web filter can be configured to restrict the bandwidth available to each user.
Protecting Users’ Devices from Malware & Viruses
Most malware infections are delivered via email or malicious websites. It is important that all WiFi hotspot providers take steps to reduce the likelihood of a user inadvertently or deliberately downloading malware. A WiFi web filter can be configured to prevent file types commonly associated with malware from being downloaded to keep networks secure. Websites known to contain malware or those that are risky can also be blocked for added protection.
WebTitan Cloud for WiFi – A Flexible, Scalable Web Content WiFi Filter to Prevent Unsuitable Content
Whether you are an ISP, WiFi hotspot provider, hotelier or retailer, or you are looking for a web filtering solution for your business, WebTitan Cloud for WiFi will allow you to enforce your own allowable Internet usage policies.
WebTitan Cloud for WiFi is a practical, scalable, and cost effective web filtering solution that can protect guest users from viewing illegal website content, draining your network´s bandwidth and downloading a malware infection.
Key Features of WebTitan Cloud for WiFi
- A 100% cloud-based web filtering solution that does not require any additional hardware
- Create a family-friendly, safe and secure web browsing environment.
- Accurately filter web content through 53 pre-set categories and up to 10 custom categories.
- No software installations required on devices used to access the Internet
- No hardware purchases necessary
- Rapid installation – Can be configured and used to filter the Internet in minutes
- Block website content by site, category, keywords, or using a scoring system
- Instant email alerts and full reporting suite with extensive drill down options
- Gain a real-time view of Internet activity
- Intuitive controls for easy configuration and maintenance
- Control multiple WiFi hotspots from any location through a central web-based control panel
- Delegate control of filtering settings for different access points
- Scalable solution suitable for WiFi networks of all sizes
- No restriction placed on the number of WiFi access points
- No Latency – Internet speed is unaffected
- Suitable for static and dynamic IP addresses
- Internet monitoring function provides insight into customer/employee behavior
Benefits for Managed Service Providers, ISPs, and Resellers
- Multiple hosting options, including within your own data center
- Easy integration into existing billing, auto provisioning and monitoring system through a suite of APIs
- Get WebTitan as a white label ready to take your own branding
- World class customer service with dedicated account managers
- Fully transparent pricing policy
- MSP friendly pricing
Find Out More about WebTitan Web Content Filtering for WiFi Networks
To find out more about using the WebTitan Cloud web content WiFi filter to prevent unsuitable content from being accessed via your WiFi access points, and for details of pricing, give our friendly and knowledgeable advisors a call today:
US Sales +1 813 200 9460
UK/EU Sales +44 (0)247 699 3641
IRL +353 91 54 55 00
or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org